- Established: March 29 1549
- Nickname: Roma Negra (Black Rome)
- Region State: Bahia
- Population: 2,676,606
- Temperature Average: around 22-26 °C
- Stadium: Arena Fonte Nova
Salvador World Cup Poster
The Salvador World Cup poster shows an object which seems like a goal. But it isn’t! The object is actually the famous ‘Lacerda elevator’ (elevador Lacerda). The elevator connects old upper city with many Historic places, to the old Lower city. Maybe you would expect more from a Salvador poster, but the great view and the type of passage the elevator contains, makes it a nice symbol.
Matches To Be Played: 6
|Round of 16|
Salvador: 4 Things You Have to See
FIFA Fan Fest
FIFA’s Fan Fests include huge screens where fans can watch the World Cup matches together. The Fan Fest in Salvador can be found in Aeroclube.
Pelourinho (Salvador Historic Centre)
Pelourinho is one of Salvador’s main tourist sites. Slaves were taken here in order to be punished. The square shows old colonial houses and churches such as the Rosário dos Homens Pretos and the Basilica Cathedral. Aside to many cultural happenings, there are also nice restaurants and shops. It was named a world cultural center by UNESCO in 1985. A great place which represents the culture well.
After the famous elevator was opened officially, it became the main mean of transport between the High City (Cidade Alta) and Low city (Cidade Baixa). Now there are 4 electric lifts which are able to transport up to 20 passengers each. In total the elevator has undergone 5 renovations.
The building was constructed in 1861, but became the Modelo Market only in 1971. The building kept its original neoclassical architecture and contains more than 200 shops which offer handcrafts, gifts and souvenirs. There are also traditional restaurants that serve food from the Bahia cuisine. Caoeira is often played close to the market. It’s located in Praça Visconde de Cayrú, in the Low City (Cidade Baixa) area.
Did You Know Salvador:
- Was the first capital of Brazil , founded in 1549 till 1763
- Is the capital of the state Bahia
- Is the 3rd most populated city in Brazil
- African influence in many cultural aspects of the city makes it the centre of Afro-Brazilian culture
Is the city with the highest population of African origin, more than 80 % of the population is black and mulatto (only 18 % is white)
- Famous Carnival “Carnival in Bahia ” was once considered the biggest carnival in the world according to the Guinness Book of Records
- Is the city where Capoeira started to evolve after being invented in Africa
- Was a host city in the 2013 Confederations Cup
- Will be used to host the 2016 summer Olympics