Porto Alegre Facts
- Established: March 26 1772
- Nickname: Capital dos Gaúchos/PoA
- Region State: Rio Grande do Sul
- Population: 1,509,939
- Temperature Average: around 10-19 °C
- Stadium: Estádio Beira-Rio
Porto Alegre World Cup Poster
The Porto Alegre World Cup poster shows a building which represents the Usina do Gasômetro, an old power plant. This plant was active from 1928 to 1974. In 1991 the plant turned into one of the most important cultural centers in Porto Alegre. The Usina do Gasômetro is one of the best places to view the Guaíba river. The green, red, yellow colours underneath the football boot, refer to the Porto Alegre flag. This is the only World Cup Brazil poster, which refers to its flag.
Matches To Be Played: 5
|Round of 16|
Porto Alegre: 4 Things You Have to See
FIFA Fan Fest
FIFA’s Fan Fests include huge screens where fans can watch the World Cup matches together. The Fan Fest in Porto Alegre can be found in Anfiteatro Pôr-do-Sol.
Brique da Redenção
Brique da Redenção is one of Porto Alegre’s most visited and traditional places. It’s a big art fair and is most visited on Sundays. You can buy different things like antiques, drawings and paintings, and try tasty snacks. It’s located in in Avenida José Bonifácio, at the Farroupillha Park
Rio Grande do Sul Art Museum (MARGS)
The building of the Museum was designed by German architect Theo Wiederspaghn and was built in 1913 to house the Tax Office. The collection is considered one of the most important in Brazil, with works from artists Iberê Camargo, Glauco Rodrigues and Alice Brueggemann. There is also a section with paintings from Portinari, Di Cavalcanti and foreign paintings created at the end of the 19th century. It’s located in Praça da Alfândega, in the Centro Histórico.
Phone: +55 (51) 32212646
The Guaíba waterfront extends over a distance of 72 km and is one of the Porto Alegre’s busiest outdoor leisure areas. You can take a boat trip through the Guaíba where you can visit 16 islands, canals, swamps and more. You should also visit Ipanema Beach, where there are many bars and restaurants on the waterfront. The sight of the sunset over the Guaíba Lake is considered by one of the most beautiful in the world by the local people.
Did You Know Porto Alegre:
- Is the 10th most populous city in the country
- Is the 4th largest metropolitan area in Brazil
- Is the centre of Brazil’s 4th largest metropolitan area
- Is the capital of state Rio Grande do Sul
- Is the capital further south in Brazil
- Lies on the eastern bank of the Rio Guaiba (Guaiba Lake)
- Lowest temperature ever recorded was 4 °C on July 11, 1918
- Highest temperature ever recorded was 40 °C on January 1, 1947
- Was a host city in the 1950 World Cup
- Is together with Curitiba one of the capitals with the highest number of descendants of European countries
- Is considered one of the best Brazilian metropolises in terms of quality of life by the United Nations Organization (UN)
- Has the largest and oldest chocolate factory in Brazil, Neugebauer from 1891, and is still in production